Wednesday, April 3, 2013

What We Read


There is almost nothing, aside from unconditional love, that is more important to a child's development than reading and fostering a love for books. I base this on my education in the field of Social Work, as well as evidence from my own tiny book lovers - all three of them.
 
We do a lot of reading in our house. It helps with social, language, comprehension, and a whole load of other skills. When I was pregnant with the twins I enjoyed free subscriptions to Baby Talk and Parenting magazines and Wicked, the story of the Wicked Witch's upbringing. Very interesting read! My husband at that time was reading the Hobbit from a classic collection passed down by my mom.
 
The connection between book and reader can be complicated and intense, or it can be superficial and spur-of-the-moment. Whatever the case their is a payoff in the end. Our minds and our soulds receive simultaneously.
 
These days I find myself reading a lot less chapter books and a lot more children's stories. That's alrgiht with me. The awe in my kids' eyes when they recognize a word or anticipate a character's next move is monumental in my heart.
 
Lately we're reading:
 
My Cat, My Dog by Katrina Streza
We love the repetitive cat/dog character presence & learning basic cat/dog abilities
 
 photo SANY8135_zps8fb9cf7a.jpg

The Little Leaf by Adam B. Shaeffer
We learned spiders are not scary & sometimes forces greater than ones self make things happen in life
 
 photo SANY8134_zpsd902a70b.jpg

I Love You by Calee M. Lee
We read this to enjoy notes on unconditional love and simply kid-friendly phrases
 
 photo SANY8142_zps7622a480.jpg
and mama reads:
 
Hidden Under Her Heart by Rachelle Ayala click to visit her Blog!
 
Best described as an emotional, fast-paced rollercoaster ride that is sure to grip and tear hearts of all who read it. Deals with major life issues, some tough to read about, such as love, abortion, rape, and life after trauma. It appealed to the Social Worker in me and reminded me of the trials each one of us is facing.
 
 
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

1 comment:

  1. I love how many options there are for kids books. We just bought my son a big book of beginner books for his 5th birthday. Reading with the kids is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Speak Your Piece

Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs