The best, most nutritious lasagna you'll ever eat, inspired by the "raise the roof" lasagna featured in the Engine 2 Diet. This recipe makes two. Freeze one for later or, better yet,
deliver the extra (with baking instructions) to someone you love! Karma!
|1||head garlic, all cloves peeled &chopped|
|8||ounces mushrooms, sliced|
|3||heads broccoli, chopped|
|2||bell peppers, seeded and chopped|
|1||pound firm tofu|
|1/2||teaspoon cayenne pepper|
|1||teaspoon dried oregano|
|1||teaspoon dried basil|
|1||teaspoon dried rosemary|
|2||jars (about 25 ounces each) pasta sauce look out for oil!|
|1||pound whole grain lasagna noodles (uncooked)|
|1||pound frozen spinach, thawed and drained, or fresh equivalent|
|4||sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed|
|6||Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced|
|cup raw nuts, ground we like blanched almonds|
[Use a 9x13 baking dish]
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large skillet over high heat, cook the onion and garlic, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until they release their liquid.
3. With a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a large bowl, reserving the liquid in the pan.
4. In the same skillet, cook the broccoli and carrots, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add them to the mushroom mixture. There's no need for oil but if the veggies start to stick, toss in a little water
5. Add the bell peppers to the pan and cook, stirring often, until they're just beginning to soften; transfer to the bowl of vegetables.
6. Drain the tofu and break it into pieces. Add it to the vegetables with the cayenne, oregano, basil, and rosemary. Mix well.
7. Cover the bottom of the baking dish with a layer of sauce. Add a layer of noodles. Cover the noodles generously with sauce (this will help the noodles cook). Spread vegetables on top. Add another layer of noodles, then another layer of sauce.
8. Distribute spinach evenly on top. Use sweet potatoes to make another layer. Add a layer of vegetables, a layer of sauce, then noodles, and finally more sauce. Lay the tomatoes on top.
9. Cover with foil (shiny side down) and bake for 45 minutes.
10. Remove the foil. Sprinkle with nuts and return to the oven. Continue baking for 15 minutes. Let rest 15 minutes before serving.