Thursday, May 23, 2013

HEALTH // ARE THEY GETTING ENOUGH TO EAT?

 photo SANY9350_zps3434c3c9.jpg
The spread at a recent family gathering - plenty to choose from for the plant OR the meat eater.

That is a common question that runs through my head when feeding our babies clean and mostly plant-based foods.

I'm stuck in my old mentalities of meat = a full belly. I am quick to forget that satisfying protein can also be found in: beans, nuts, tofu, meat substitutes, and quinoa (a complete protein full of all the essential amino acids!). 

Another helpful tip to remember: kids eat what they need, when they need it. Furthermore their food cycles are not 24 hours like adults, but instead a few days in length. Meaning a portion of fruits or whole grains may last them far longer than would sustain an adult. PHEW! 

I let myself off the hook a bit. Mealtime is more fun, after all, when I stop playing Food Police and enjoy my tots' healthy appetites for life.

We've been enjoying a heck of a lot more clean and plant-based foods. Here's a recipe for a recent crowd-pleaser: Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese, adapted from Better Balance Fitness (one of my favorite clean lifestyle FB pages!).

Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese

  • 1 Sweet Potato, steamed and cut into chunks
  • 1/4 C. nutritional yeast
  • 1 C. milk alternative, we used soy
  • 1 teaspoon salt, we used pacific grey
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon ground pepper
  •  pasta of choice, cooked 

While the sweet potato is still hot add it and all other ingredients to a blender, food processor, or bowl large enough to hand-mix. A blender is not necessary but will ensure a creamy macaroni-and-cheese-like texture. Blend until creamy and serve over fresh whole grain pasta. Yum!

For leftovers I served with quartered compari tomatoes and sliced avocado - delish!



 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I used to worry about what my kids were eating, then my doc reminded me that kids will eat when they're hungry. So as long as I was offering a variety of healthy options (most of the time) they would be fine. Best tip I ever got from the doc!

    ReplyDelete

Speak Your Piece

Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs