Monday, November 11, 2013

PRODUCTS // LET'S POTTY BOARD GAME


 The Holidays bring out an I-want-to-play-bizarre-o-amounts-of-board-games side of me that literally cannot be tamed. That and an obsessed-with-crafts-like-it's-life-or-death side, but that's a story for another day. I don't know if you've ever tried to play a board game with twin toddlers but it's sort of like vacuuming and then shaking the entire contents of the dirt bag onto the just-cleaned floor, and then taking a nap and pretending it wasn't you. There are good intentions in the beginning, but after just a short time you've created a giant chaotic mess and no one is interested in the final outcome.
 
When we found the Let's Potty board game, however, that didn't seem to be the case. This game is designed for potty-learning tots ages 2-4 and their parents to play together. We opted to start while Ayara was napping so she wouldn't feel left out, being only 18-months-old and all.
 
Of course Taylen and Dayr were ecstatic. They've never played a board game before! Taylen was pretty hung-up with the playing pieces they come in two pieces that need to be "assembled", after that step he was content to hold his piece, and do nothing else. We read the short and simple directions aloud and began playing. The cards are a nice thick cardboard material, they stood up well to our two destructors. With help reading the cards the boys - especially Dayr - caught on with lightning speed. In fact they were so into it that they seemed to get annoyed when Bob or I took a turn.
 
The play continued on simply enough, but the game was a little long for our rug rats. From start to finish it took about 30 minutes to complete, nothing for a patient adult... lifetimes for an ever-moving + curious toddler (or two). We rushed through the end and the boys were exhausted when it was over.
 
On the super super bright side, we started potty training/learning shortly after playing Let's Potty! and the boys seem interested more now than ever! Day one had zero daytime accidents. The night brought zero accidents again from Taylen, but a wet bed from Dayr and plenty of restless time for mom, dad, and the twinkies. Day two brought first poos they were holding it before I'm sure and popsicles for rewards. Don't judge.  
 
In case you're wondering we took the "cold turkey" approach. As far as the twins are concerned, diapers no longer exist for them. They are spending a lot of time naked and we're doing a lot of laundry. Oh and my secret weapon: leftover pads from when Ayara was born, courtesy of the Hospital, between the boys' mattress pads + fitted sheet to absorb.
 
I recommend this game to anyone teaching a tot the potty. If nothing else it was a fun, light-hearted family memory that will last and last in my head and apparently not well on film, hmmpfh:
 
I apologize for the super poor quality photo,
but it's the only one I could snap on day #1 between
happy potty dances (me) + laughing at their hilarious pottying faces (me again)!
[Dayr, Taylen]

7 comments:

  1. Good luck! Potty training is an experience for sure. I had never heard of this game before though...sounds like it might have sparked some interest for your boys. My son wanted nothing to do with potty training, lol...my daughter was trained by 15mo though. I guess it is different for every child. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great game idea. You have to get them ready somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to get them excited for using the potty! I'll have to look this up when we start potty training our youngest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea for a game. I well remember the days of potty training. I didn't think we'd ever get it done - but we did!!! And so will you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are SO FUN to read!!!! Good luck with the potty training and game playing! Thank you for the review as well - I hadnt heard of this concept before :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just got this game - am so excited to try it out...my guy still isn't very interested though!!

    ReplyDelete

Speak Your Piece

Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs