Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunday Munch


Nearly-Vegan Blueberry Orange Zest Muffins

At the store this week the produce was priced really well,
the perfect compliment to our deciding to ease into a nearly-vegan diet.

Among our delicious finds were some ripe, beautiful blueberries.
They of course have to be eaten rather quickly once they're home
so they went into quinoa + flax pancakes this morning,
and are going into my experimental muffins now.

I searched online for blueberry orange zest muffins, but none were vegan enough,
so I made up my own recipe.

This new food/eating/cooking adventure has given me an awesome
boost of self-confidence in the kitchen!

There muffins ROCK! They smell amazing before, during, and after baking!
Be warned, the intense aroma might make it hard not to eat the whole batch alone.

Also, I don't usually follow directions well,
so when I make a recipe it all gets poured into a big bowl, stirred, and baked/cooked/etc.
None of that dry ingredients in this bowl, wet ingredients in this one mumbo jumbo.

Ingredients:
1 cup applesauce gets rid of the eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 smooshed banana gets rid of the oil
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup cooked quinoa
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
3 T ground flax (optional)
3/4 cup blueberries, rinsed, (fresh or frozen)
1 orange, zested
Don't have a zester? I use the smallest side of the cheese grater!


Throw it all in a big bowl, give it a good stir, and pop it in muffin pans
lined with baking cups OR if you don't have baking cups
you can spray with cooking spray and dust with flour, or rub with butter and dust with flour!

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Done-zo!
(Makes 16 when scooped with a 1/4 cup scooper)

Enjoy! and try not to eat the whole batch






2 comments:

  1. Those sound yummy! Did having applesauce and sugar make them too sweet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually no, and I didn't even think about the possibility beforehand (you must be a good baker! hehe) but I'm glad you mentioned it because I should think about those things :)

      Delete

Speak Your Piece

Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs