Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Yum

 photo BasilAvocadoPineNutSauce_zps188fd100.jpg


I had a really satisfying experience with my blender tonight and wanted to pass along the love.
 
A friend gave me a recipe for what she called Basil Avocado Pesto but upon further inspection it was not a pesto at all since you need cheese + oil among other things to make that, (typically).
 
SO I altered the recipe for our family's nutritional needs and I have for you an original creation that I am calling:
 
Basil Avocado Pine Nut Sauce that tastes a heck of a lot like awesome vegan pesto!
 
Classy, right?
 
It's super simple to make and so far has tasted great as a veggie dip and over whole wheat pasta.
 
Ingredients
 
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 1/2 C basil, tightly packed
  • 1/4 C pine nuts
  • 3 T. lemon juice, fresh or fridge
  • 1 T water
  • 1 t. salt
 
Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend / pulse until a thick sauce is achieved. Taste and make sure it's to your liking. Mine is very acidic from the lemon juice and I like it that way. It should be fresh, zesty, and mostly smooth. I left my pine nuts a bit chunky for some crunch, you could add them after pureeing the rest for additional texture, too!
 photo SANY8584_zps96f0b5b6.jpg
 
Try it with:
 
  • Spinach Salad
  • Roasted Broccoli
  • Whole Wheat Pasta
  • Pita Bread
  • ??
 photo SANY8572_zps364f4093.jpg
 
The options are numerous and each delicious and fresh.
 
How did you enjoy yours?
 
Cheers!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak Your Piece

Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs