Friday, September 20, 2013

EDIBLE // VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA MUFFINS

 photo bananamuffinjpg_zps8ff80d8a.png

I welcome Fall for the beautiful weather, football games (socializing, really), crafts, but mostly for the baking. The whole summer we boycott the oven, so as soon as the thermometer starts to dip I am itching to try some new noms.

This recipe is quickly becoming a weekly staple for me, as the nutrient-rich ingredients make an awesome quick breakfast for the five of us, or a quick snack for fussy twins or baby girl. Make a double batch and freeze some, too! Anything to make life with kids (or without!?) a bit simpler.

 
Ingredients
 
3 over-ripe bananas I used frozen and thawed them first
1/2 C agave nectar
1/2 C applesauce
1/4 C coconut oil
1 t. vanilla
2 C whole wheat flour
4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
1/2 C whole old-fashioned oats not quick oats
1/2 C carob chips

 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl mix the bananas until mashed. Add the agave nectar, applesauce, coconut oil and vanilla and blend.  Add in the bowl the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix until well blended. Add oats and carob chips. Evenly distribute the batter between in a 12 slot paper-lined muffin tin. Bake for 25 minutes and store in the fridge. Happy noms!

*For my non-vegan readers use regular chocolate chips instead of carob.

7 comments:

  1. Have everything but the Agave Nectar, going to Whole Foods tomorrow so I can make these Friday. Love that they are vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I like agave nectar because of its low glycemic index, but you don't have to use it! You could substitute pure maple syrup or local raw honey, too! Come back and let me know how they turn out please, I'd love to hear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried the agave nectar but I do love a good healthy muffin! Esp if it has some choc chips in it! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That muffin looks so good. :) I love banana and chocolate together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of carob chips before and I had to look them up. I'm really interested to get your opinion on the taste. Clearly you like them enough to use them, and I've read that they taste nothing like chocolate, so do you prefer them to chocolate chips or do you use both? Thanks for the recipe by the way. I know my kids would love something to mix up the breakfast routine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got some frozen bananas waiting in the freezer. I think it is time to bust them out and try this. They look awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Speak Your Piece

Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs