Saturday, April 19, 2014

EDIBLE // COMFORT CASSEROLE

 

This week we had a church potluck we were attending, and on top of that we've been trying to stay ahead in our meal-planning so we don't get overwhelmed in the food department. The kids are often overwhelming and anything we can do to make life easier is a 100% good idea, always.
I decided to make a tater tot casserole for the potluck. Two reasons: 1) it's delicious and 2) last time we potlucked there wasn't a lot of food, let alone food that the kids would eat (the pizza someone brought was gone before we made it through the line, go figure!) so I took matters into my own hands making something that the kids will eat and that contains all the major (albeit not-so-healthy) food groups: you've got your protein (ground turkey) veggies (frozen peas - go ahead and use fresh it you've got 'em!) and carbs (tater tots), oh and there's dairy in there, too, with the creamy soup. I do not add salt to this as there's already a good deal of it in the soup and tots. But it's like I always say... to each their own! I can hear Bob laughing at me as I type that last part ;)
I figured that while I was cooking/baking it might make life easier to double the batch (one for church, one for home) so in the spirit of simplicity, I made two. The following is the recipe for one 9x13 casserole.
 
Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey
1 C. onions, chopped
1 t. pepper
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 C. frozen peas
1 Bag frozen tater tots
 
To Make:
Brown the turkey + drain it well. Add: onions, soup, and frozen veg and mix well over low heat. Spread mixture in 9x13 baking dish. Top with a layer of tots. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
Some people like to smother it with cheese during the last 10 minutes of baking, I say just follow your heart (you know, literally - that's high in cholesterol + sodium) Enjoy!
 
 
I could use some recipe inspiration, what's on your "comfort food" list?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak Your Piece

Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs