Thursday, May 29, 2014

All You Need is Less


























It is no surprise that I love a good book. If you've been following along for any amount of time you know that I get caught up reading multiple books all the time. Recently I finished a book that changed the way I'm living my life. When that happens I think it's worth mentioning.

This year our focus as a couple - Bob and I - has been to try and really simplify our lives. We've said ti all along but this year, we mean business. If we don't need it, aren't using it, and don't sincerely enjoy it then why oh why do we own it? As I heard so well-put recently: why would you save that thing for "someday" when someone else  could be blessed by it now? 

So that being said let me introduce you to a new family favorite: All You Need is Less, by Madeline Somerville. It's sort of quirky, I think, to tell you how awesome this book is and maybe suggest you buy it, considering its title, but it really is a phenomenal (and quick!) read. In fact I had to break it out of my husband's pile of "currently readings" just to review my own notes. 
Side note: ever since breaking up with Facebook I've been reading that much more and loving all of the in-depth chats we've had because of it.

What I love about this book: I learned about ways to "be green" that are literally pain + thoughtless. What do I mean? There are times when I want to implement changes into my life and that of my family in order to lessen the footprint we're leaving, thus improving the world for generations to come, yada yada, but no ounce of my lazy body has any desire to put in the work. All You Need is Less to the rescue with ideas like baking soda toothpaste, Terracycle, and why it's maybe best to avoid toasted sesame oil for body application purposes.

Why I love Madeline: she. just. gets people! She writes in a way that is completely relate-able, never condemning, and will make you laugh until you cry. Some of the best lines in the book:

"...in our house, Adam trying to trap and terrify me using assorted confectioneries as bait is just called "Tuesday."
"Having children does inevitably involved the acquisition of stuff - even if you initially vow otherwise." This one really spoke to me.
"(I mean, who wouldn't want to find a tiny bottle of Bailey's in their stocking?) (CHILDREN! that's who, you monster.)"
and the best and most heart-wrenching, life-check-worthy quote of all...
"The best part of taking the initiative to create a sustainable life for yourself is that you are giving your children a head start on doing the same."


Pick up a copy for yourself and see what good can come from these pages, or at the very least check it out or request it at your local library (amazing free resource plug). Heck, drop me a line and I'll lend you mine, for the sake of being more Eco-friendly (after Bob's done reading it, of course!). This will make a perfect summer beach companion. Happy reading, friends!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Crista. I'm going to send you an email this week about a baby topic I'm researching.

    ReplyDelete

Speak Your Piece

Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs